A structure near Sophia in Randolph County, North Carolina is designated the John Wesley Stand. The structure is an example of an open-air tabernacle or brush arbor. Started in 1903 by the Rev. J.F. Burkhead of Asheboro, worship was first held under a brush arbor after which a small frame church building was erected in 1906. The tabernacle was built in 1921. The quartz rock pillars of the tabernacle are an echo of the popular Bungalow style of that time.
John Wesley’s Stand – Randolph County Historic Landmark Preservation Commission
John Wesley’s Stand – Designation Report, Randolph County Historic Landmark Preservation Commission